Thursday, September 16, 2010

Acupuncture Work!

I am posting this since Tim and Chris both seem to be having issues with muscular-skelatal pain and might benefit from acupuncture. I was a sceptic, but have definately noticed increased mobility, and less pain after 2 visits. I have (had) been struggling with sciatic pain for about 4 months, and finally went to an acupuncturist on cousin Melissa's recommendation.

As I said, it seems to be working. Right after an hour long session , and for the next couple of days, I have a slight increase of very localized pain over my butt nerve, but then it eases up and disappears. Night times are better, riding in the car is better, and I can sit down to read my morning paper ( or could before school started; now I am helping with homework.) Liam and I even went for a bike ride last week. Something unimaginable this summer. I am so relieved.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you have had some relief. Do you have more acupuncture sessions scheduled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really, really interesting Sarah. Does your insurance pay for it? If not, how expensive? Is it supposed to work with arthritic pain?

    And Happy Birthday Bob! You know it is our Susi's B'day as well as my niece' B'day today also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My insurance will pay for 8 visits/ year. But they only cover acupuncture for pain. My portion of the treatment payment is only $10. A bargain compared to the more invasive treatment alternatives. I've been three times and would say I'm 75% better.

    I would think it would work for arthritic pain but I'm not sure. I'll ask the practitioner I go to. She is Chinese and not very talkative... She is very small and quick. I chase after her down the hall into the exam room. She says lie face down, and then proceeds to put the needles in and either uses some electrical stimulation, or heat therapy in conjunction. The first time I had no idea how long I was going to be lying there, and after a while thought that she might have forgotten me. An hour later she returned.

    ReplyDelete