Sunday, February 15, 2015

President's Day Essay and a 'Tinier' House Update

I am copying Liam's wonderful essay written in honor of President's Day. In the essay he alludes to "Bertha" which is the giant boring machine that is supposed to be carving out a new highway below Seattle. Bertha has been stuck a few hundred feet from it's starting point for the last year. Here's the essay....

George Washington
George Washington was the first president of U.S.A. He served as a leader in the American Revolutionary War vs. the British. He lead them to victory. I am writing about him because he was the first president and there are many stories about him, so I thought it might be fun. My favorite story about him is “George Washington and the cherry tree.” It is about young George getting a hatchet from his dad. He has fun, but accidentally cuts down his father’s cherry tree. He tells the truth and his father forgives him. Once settled in, he married a widow and soon dies of a sickness. I think that we should have more presidents like him. If we did, I think America would become an even bigger tourist attraction. We could then build more good stuff and get bertha done with. Woo, won’t you be happy then! No. More. Bertha!!

And now for the "Tinier" house:

 This photo is supposed to remind you of the photo we have of Jack looking out the window of the shed at the lake.

 Liam home from school with the stomach flu.

6 comments:

  1. Great work on the essay Liam. Huge progress on the tiny house Sarah. Can 4 people lie down ion the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to put a sleeping loft in for me and bob. I am trying to figure out the least amount of headroom needed below in the composting toilet room, and kitchen area. Do you think 6'2" will feel claustrophobic? I don't think we have any friends taller then 6"1"....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun. Are you working from plans? So will you take it to your lake land on this trailer, will you then put it on the ground? foundation? wow! Madhu and I talk about making a trip out to WA. Maybe we will see it!

    Good essay Liam.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice,
    If you come to Seattle please stay with us...!

    I did not use plans for the tiny house. I'm just figuring it out as I go along, and watching a lot of tutorials on U-Tube. The house (it is really a shack) will stay on the trailer, thereby evading the law which says no permanent structure can be built on a lot unless there is an existing residence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps you could cut a hole in the floor and put the toilet under the house.

    Great Essay Liam. Perhaps your next one could be on John Henry who could put Bertha to shame. Woo!!!

    ReplyDelete